Monday, April 26, 2010

NFL Draft Coverage

Welcome Sports Fans!

For my most recent project I have enlisted the help of a couple great friends (and better sports analysts) of mine. The project being to break down the NFL draft from multiple perspectives ideally as objectively as possible.

The first featured sports enthusiast will be the Dzzl. Without further adieu here is the Dzzl's take on the NFC South and the AFC West.


Welcome everyone to my portion of the 2010 draft breakdown. I am “ The DZZL”. I do this a little bit different than the rest. I’m not a big believer in giving grades. I’m just going to give you some overviews and opinions of how I see it. Then in 3 years, if the SportsGeek keeps me around that long, we can come back and grade this draft. So let’s get into it. For my part I’ll be going over the NFC South and the AFC West.

NFC South

Tampa Bay- The Buc’s used their first 2 pics on Defensive Tackles. Both Gerold McCoy and Brian Price should be instant starters and bolster a defense that was among the worst in the league last year. WR Arrelious Benn , picked in round 2, has the size, speed, and potential to do well in the NFL. They picked up a nickel CB in round 3. Then added a pair of developmental LB’s in the later rounds. Wait is that a punter in the 6th? People still draft punters? Overall the Buc’s definitely addressed some key needs in their front 7 and should improve one of the leagues worst defenses.

Carolina- Well for having no 1st round picks they sure picked up a 1st round talent in round 2. QB Jimmy Clausen went to the last team he probably thought would draft him. For a team that said Matt Moore was their future drafting 3 QB’s doesn’t instill a lot of confidence. Clausen, Armanti Edwards, and Tony Pike? I’m assuming that Edwards will convert to more of a Slash type player. This guy is just a great all around athelete. For a team that runs the ball this much though, they sure have a lot of throwers. I don’t think The Panthers helped themselves much at all. What happened to run the ball and play good Defense? Did they think they slapped the franchise tag on Julius Peppers again? Hello, he’s a Bear now.

Atlanta- The Falcon’s selected Sean Weatherspoon LB out of Missouri with their first pick. Good all purpose LB that can move around and play a lot of positions. A 3rd round pick for a DT (back-up). Then a couple O-linemen(back-ups). Then spending both 5th round picks on a couple developmental players that will most likely only see the field on special teams(more back-ups). Besides the addition of Weatherspoon, who will make an impact this year? I’m all for adding depth but you need contributors too. If standing pat is good enough for them though, then I guess it’s good enough for me too.

New Orleans- For a secondary that was decimated by injuries last year adding CB Patrick Robinson will give The Saints some much needed depth. 2nd round pick OL Charles Brown is most likely the heir apparent at RT. Grabbing TE Jimmy Graham in the 3rd to back up injury plague Jeremy Shockey is their best pick in my opinion. In the Antonio Gates mold he is a converted basketball player. Graham only has 1 year of college football but has some real potential. He could definitely contribute on the field this year a lot more than you would think. Saints added some O-line depth in the 5th. Then there is QB Sean Canfield in the 7th. If they can’t resign Mark Brunell or another free agent QB then Canfield will likely be Drew Brees’ back up. Uh Oh!!!!!!



AFC West

Kansas City- OK K.C. what gives? I could go on all day about Eric Berry. But I won’t. I want to talk about 2nd round pick RB Dexter McCluster. What?? Another running back??? Didn’t Jamal Charles just become the heir apparent last year? Didn’t they just sign the combined rushing leader over the last 3 years Thomas Jones?? Don’t they need help at just about every position but running back?? What about Sergio Kindle?? You telling me that Matt Cassel is that awesome that Chaley Weis didn’t pine for Jimmy Clausen??? I’m done with you!!! Moving on. . . . .

Oakland- At first I thought Rolando McClain was a reach. After much research though I believe he will be a hell of a LB. Between McClain and 2nd rounder DT Lamarr Houston The Raiders porous run defense should be vast improved. The 3rd and 4th rounds brought them some much needed O-line help. Then late in the 4th Al Davis woke up out of his coma and immediately fired everyone and drafted the fastest guy on the board. WR Jacoby Ford the All-American track star has blazing speed and suspect hands, definitely an Al Davis guy. Davis apparently lapsed back into unconsciousness after that and The Raiders bolstered their secondary with 3 of their last 4 picks. Unbelievably the Raiders actually addressed some key needs and it may be their best draft in the last 10 years.

San Diego- The Chargers apparently finally realized that Darren Sproles is not an every down back and traded up to the 12th pick. RB Ryan Mathews is more of the power back the Chargers have needed. He’s a great runner between the tackles and will fight for those hard yards. They picked up a LB in the 3rd to help that weak Line Backing core. How Darrell Stuckey fell to the 4th round I’ll never know. I had him pegged as late 2nd or early 3rd. The guy has massive talent but he’s kind of a head case. Then we have Norv Turner’s next project, QB Jonathan Crompton out of Tennessee. With Billy Volek a free agent next year and Whitehurst getting traded it seems like a good pick in theory. I’m just wondering who will fill traded CB Antonio Cromardie’s shoes???

Denver- The SportsGeek told me he picked me for this because he thought I would be the most truthfull about his favorite team. Ok time for brutal honesty. WR Demaryius Thomas is going to be a stud in this league!!!! This guy is a human highlight reel waiting to explode. They added some much needed depth with Beadles and Walton. Then there’s WR Eric Decker. This guy is 6’3” and 217lbs. They’ve got him tagged as a slot receiver. What??? I’m interested to see how long a guy that tall lasts going over the middle. Bye bye knees! They also picked a couple DB’s late. Cox has a chance to contribute right away. He’s got some off the field issues though so we’ll see. Did I forget anything? Ummmmm . . . . . God I wish I could have seen the look on Brady Quinn’s face when Tim Tebow got drafted. I’m sick of hearing all this Tebow crap. As far as I’m concerned the jury is out. The guy is a proven winner and leader. Those are the facts. McDaniels is supposed to be a QB guru right? I’ll just sit back and see how it all plays out like everyone else.
This concludes my portion of the 2010 Draft coverage.

I’d like to thank The SportsGeek for this opportunity. I hope everyone out there reads and enjoys it. The DZZL is out



Let us know what you think! All of us are very excited about this new found partnership and appreciate any feedback; positive or negative. Without critics we cannot learn!

No comments:

Post a Comment