Wednesday, April 28, 2010

More NFL Draft Coverage!

Welcome all to the third night of our extensive draft coverage. The boys and I have been reporting our opinions on the two NFL divisions a piece for this week. Tonight, I am here to show you the light regarding the division of the AFC North and NFC East. First I’ll start with the NFC EAST

NFC EAST

New York Giants: (B+): I absolutely loved the Giants’ draft. Of all teams in the 2010 draft no one addressed their problem spots like the Giants did. In 2009 the Giants defense ranked 30th in points allowed and 14th and 15 against the pass and run respectively. It was clear that this team had fallen from grace; transitioning from a crushing defense that led to the upset of the young century against the Patriots in SuperBowl XLII to one of mediocrity just two years later. They nabbed some great defensive line talents with raw skills in Jason Pierre-Paul and Linval Joseph. But what I think was their best pick is Phillip Dillard who I tag as a potential defensive rookie of the year sleeper. Look out for these Giants in 2010.

Philadelphia Eagles (B): A lot of analysts really liked the Eagles’ weekend. I did as well, but not as much as most. I think they addressed needs with Brandon Graham and Nate Allen. I just question the priorities of the front office. When they traded up in the first round, I, as well as everyone else, assumed it was for Texas safety Earl Thomas. Safety was clearly this teams largest void and Thomas would have provided them with a stud for years to come. Not to mention, he was my highest rated player on the board at the time. They did very well with their remaining 11, that’s right 11, picks which I think were highlighted by TE Clay Harbor and WR Riley Cooper, who provide fantastic depth at two positions new starting QB Kevin Kolb will appreciate.

Dallas Cowboys (B): The ‘Boys did a lot to help their cause in the 2010 campaign. The team that has been the most quiet this off-season certainly made a splash by trading up to get WR Dez Bryant whom I think we all can agree was a crazy value at 24. Sam Lee should evolve into a solid starter at the NFL level as most Penn State linebackers do. But don’t look for him to “WOW” you with any “Lavarr Leap”s. The rest of the draft mostly focused on depth. One large criticism is their lack of O-line selection. I guess we’ll just have to see how happy Jerry and Tony are with Doug Free at LT.

Washington Redskins (C+): Listen, the ‘Skins didn’t do themselves any favors this draft, only having two picks in the first four rounds. However, I grade them above average in the least way because they did use this draft to bring in a seasoned vet at QB who is well versed in the west coast offense and one of the best QBs in the NFL over the last decade. In my opinion, McNabb was a steal for only a second round pick. I like the first round pick of Trent Williams, but I have to admit that I would have taken Russell Okung. However, Shanahan is the man who drafted now All-Pro Ryan Clady. So he must have some type of eye for these things.



AFC NORTH

Baltimore Ravens (A): Go ahead: call me a bandwagoner. But the fact of the matter is, the Baltimore Ravens worked this draft. First and foremost they traded for one of the most dynamic receivers in the league with their third round pick. And let’s not forget that WR has been a trouble spot for this franchise since it’s conception in 1996. They also made some great moves picking up first round talents Sergio Kindle and DT Terrance Cody in round two. The defense that has been so dominant for ten plus years is positioned to once again be dominant for another decade. The best pick of all however, is Ed Dickson the TE from Oregon. He will quickly emerge as the starter over veteran Todd Heap and stay there for years to come.

Pittsburgh Steelers (B): It wasn’t flashy, but what about the black and gold is? A lot of people knocked their draft because they took 3 OLB a position in which most argue needs no improvement. I agree. Believe me I agree. However, it seemed to me that they simply selected the highest rated players on their board. And being that they are the Pittsburgh Steelers it would not surprise me in the least if everyone round the top guy on their board was an OLB. Overlooked in this draft was the simple brilliance of first round pick Maurkice Pouncey. They are a running team. Especially with Ben’s libido issues… And this guy improves their offensive line ten fold. I don’t like Florida but he will go down as a perennial pro-bowler before too long.

Cleveland Browns (B): I really wanted to give the Browns a B+. I just can’t ignore taking S T.J. Ward over Taylor Mays in the second round. I do believe that this is the best draft in new Browns’ history (dating back to 1999). I’d have rather seen them take Thomas at 7 or go somewhere other than secondary. But they clearly had Haden as their guy and talent-wise I can’t argue the pick. Of course, the steal of the draft was Colt McCoy at 85 overall. Great pick. Starting likely next season, for the first time in new Browns’ history they could have some stability at QB. Now all they need is for Mike Holmgren to step onto the sideline and coach them to a superbowl.

Cincinnati Bengals (C-): Too many risks for my taste. Sure , they got a lot of talent. But let’s not forget that these are the Cincinasty Jail Cats of just a couple years ago. I thought this season they took serious steps in the positive direction. Then this draft happened. A first round pick was used on a TE who was hurt all of last season. Maybe he’ll bounce back, but if not that’s a first round pick wasted. Too risky for me. Additionally, they drafted Carlos Dunlap who may be the dumbest person in the draft. That’s right, he’s the guy that was driving home drunk and literally fell asleep at a stop light… wow. And truly there were no contributors in the remaining picks save for Jordan Shipley who I believe will evolve into an elite slot receiver.

That’s it for my take Sports Fans. Let me know what you think. Tomorrow night we’ll feature “I AM SANDBERG” who will analyze the remaining two divisions. It has been real and look forward to bringing you opinions you don’t want to hear as long as you’ll continue to read them.

No comments:

Post a Comment